Sunday, November 25, 2007

family traditions and creating memories

Just returned from a four day, action-packed, fun-filled family gathering and I am living off the buzz one gets from being surrounded by people you love and by people who love you. Choosing to participate reaps great rewards. I considered not going on the family field trip and I am really grateful I chose to participate.

How great is that, to be cheered on by your friends for throwing a heavy ball down a wooden lane? For the nine of us, as amateur bowlers, there was no greater joy than hitting a few pins, let alone actually getting a spare or a strike. We each were given the opportunity to feel competent, humble, inept and the greatest opportunity was to not take ourselves too seriously. Who really cares in the big picture, if we keep throwing gutter balls. Okay, maybe I was the only one who bowled double zeros on one turn. Life will go on.

I felt like I was in a stand up comedy workshop weekend, with one liners being thrown around for all to enjoy. We watched each other fail miserably and were still able to find the humor in that. I think everyone should go bowling once a year for therapy.

Half of us agreed we should have only bowled one game, it was the second game that revealed our first game skills were just a fluke. The other half of us actually improved in the second game and secretly wanted to bowl all night. Pretty sure the bowling angels made sure we each got one strike to let us each leave with some of our self esteem intact.